Monday, January 09, 2017

doll & pincushion making

A few years ago, I made my daughter a doll that she named Julie. Julie is definitely homemade, but my daughter absolutely loves her. That's all that matters, right? Last week, the day before the kids went back to school after Christmas break, we made a friend for Julie, named Jennifer.
Jennifer is admittedly rustic, but again, my daughter loves her! The pattern is something I made up years ago. Originally, I made a pair of bears, named Milly and Melvin. Turns out the pattern makes cute girls, too! (Although the ears were much easier to make and attach than sewing on all that hair, one strand at a time....)
It seems like anytime I make something, I want to make a hundred, so, of course, there is another one. This is Jasmine! I LOVE her hair, especially! Both of the dolls' hair has tinges of pink in it, which is super fun!
Now, it's time to figure out some doll clothes, which is not my favorite part. I have a feeling that the best part about having a doll is all the accessories, so I will do my best! One good thing is that any of the clothes that I make will fit any of the dolls OR bears. Hurray for that!

Over the weekend, I did some scrap sewing, which is always delightful! I made several (tiny!) log cabin blocks, that will be turned into pincushions.
The pieces aren't cut precisely, rather I try to use the scraps "as is", to use up as much of the fabric as possible. Each piece is chosen on the fly, so there is a lot of decision making, but it's also fun to see each block change as it grows. Working on about 4 blocks at a time is my limit, otherwise decision fatigue sets in!
I decided to make a whole batch of pincushions at once...so there are 11 in this picture. I can't wait to show them all to you, complete! This is one of my very favorite ways to use up my smallest scraps.

I do have a plan for all of these, lest you think I am completely off my rocker for making even more pincushions! :)

Happy Monday to you!

27 comments:

Gemini Jen NZ said...

The dolls are super cool and yes, the best part of dolls is the clothing/accessories. Great pin cushions too, you are certainly the queen of scraps!

Linda Swanekamp said...

How do you turn the arms and legs inside out to stuff? I can never get that. They are so thin that I cannot turn them without ripping the fabric.

Mama Urchin said...

So funny that the first two dolls are Julie and Jennifer as Julie is my sister's name. They look super cute. Love the belly buttons.

Ariane said...

Those dolls are adorable! Love all the pincushions too.

FlashinScissors said...

Love, love, love the dolls, and the pink hair is really cute! Great pincushions too!
Barbara x

Julierose said...

those dollies are adorable--my grandgirls would love them...hugs, Julierose

claudia said...

OMG! I love the dolls! I remember years ago making a bear from corduroy for my oldest daughter. I was going to make more and that bear was just figuring things out...I named him Proto (for prototype) For all I know she still has him.
I need to make some dolls.
Your pincushions are going to be great! I should do that too with all my little scraps. You know...make fabric from the crumbs and go from there.
Thanks for sharing your adorable sewings.

beth s said...

Some FUN sewing going on over there!! ;)

Janeen said...

Those dolls are so very sweet! Love the simplicity; just adorable!

kclily said...

The hair on the dolls is wonderful!! I think its worth the trouble.

Chris said...

I love the little heart belly buttons on the dolls!

Kay said...

The dolls are so sweet. i too have a habit of making several of the same thing all a the same time, I always want to change and improve things so this is a natural progression for me. x

Anonymous said...

Your dolls are adorable! Have you seen the doll clothes patterns from Wendi Gratz? I think with some fit tweaking, they would work great for your new dolls. What a lucky little girl you have!
http://shop.shinyhappyworld.com/collections/dolls-doll-clothes

Unknown said...

The dolls are so sweet! I love how the pink-tinged hair is "of the moment". As for clothes, I'm seeing a little tulle tutu ;)

patty a. said...

Love the dolls! How tall are they? They look tiny. I make sock monkeys - really cute sock monkeys! I have one on my bed I made clothes for which was a challenge - talk about an odd body shape! Junior has a Hawaiian shirt and cut off and the other outfit is an R.E.M. t-shirt with leather pants. I even made a opening in the back of the pants for his tail to stick thru. I know you will be able to come up with some cute clothes for the dolls!

Marsha L said...

Adorable dolls! I've got dolls in progress for 2 granddaughters, including lots of clothes made. My stumbling block is the hair and face. Is there any chance you'd have a moment to show how you made that fabulous yarn hair, or send a how-to link? As they've reminded me, I need to finish them before they're not interested in dolls anymore! I always love your pincushion posts!

Melissa Corry said...

The dolls are so adorable. I can't believe you sew on the hair one strand at a time. Wow!!! And I just love your pincushions, can't wait to see more of them ;)

Holly said...

I LOVE the dolls! So sweet! And you're right--the accessories are almost as important as the doll. Love it!

Char said...

The dolls are adorable and you are right, the accessories are the best part of having a doll. I still play with dolls and doll clothes.

Sue SA said...

Your dolls are super adorable and I am sure totally sellable - well the pattern at least! Love your mini log cabins. Dont think your mad for making multiple pin cushions, but would love to see the blocks made up as a mini quilt instead!

Karen said...

Nothing like a multi-use wardrobe that fits both little girl dolls AND bears! These dolls are precious--please show us their clothes when you stitch them up. And those pincushions--could they get any smaller or cuter?

Cool Lizzie said...

Your dolls are delightful!! I keep staring at them remembering my one and only true love - Pearsie - a fabric doll my mother made me when I was 7 with articulated arms and legs and cotton fringe hair. She also made wonderful clothes for her - often a matching dress to the newest one she'd made for me. Thanks for stirring this memory!

Unknown said...

You are an inspiration! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Lovely dolls , will you be making tiny log cabin patchwork dungarees for them ?

Katherine said...

What fun you get into! Love the dollies and of course those scrappy log cabin blocks. Now I'm wondering what the plan is with all those pincushions.... ;o)

Suzanne said...

I love your pincushion plan and am excited to see the next parade.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I would NEVER think you are off your rocker. Your plans are always the best!!